Becoming a Mentor
As a Member of the College, you have the privilege and opportunity to be a mentor to a Membership candidate. As a mentor you will have the important role of providing support and guidance as a candidate prepares for examinations and develops their independent learning activities.
Benefits of becoming a mentor include:
- The opportunity to play an important role in a colleague’s professional life
- Supporting your College Chapter
- Enhancing and refreshing your own knowledge and skills
As a general guide, a mentor is required to:
- Possess general depth and breadth of knowledge required to pass the examination
- Discuss the style of examination
- Provide guidance on timeline for the candidate’s preparation for the examination
- Provide guidance on a study strategy or an approach to learning in the key areas identified in the Subject Guidelines’ Learning Outcomes
- Allocate time for library and other reference reading and making of synopses for revision
- Discuss the need to do practice examinations
- Provide feedback on the candidate’s progress in preparation for the examination
- Provide feedback on the level of knowledge a candidate demonstrates in written and/or oral practice examinations.
Chapters are eagerly looking for Members to become mentors for 2020, so please express your interest by contacting your Chapter Subject Standards Committee (SSC) Chair or the College office on +61 7 3423 2016 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about what becoming a mentor involves, please read this guide.