The award of Membership of the College is conferred upon a veterinarian who is eligible to sit and successfully passes an examination in a given Membership subject.
Membership of the College is an official recognition of a veterinarian's knowledge and experience in a designated field of veterinary science. Membership is an indication to the profession and the general public of an advanced practitioner, representing a middle-tier of knowledge, competence and experience in a specific area of veterinary practice. Membership is not a specialist qualification. Membership requires examination with members signified by post-nominals MANZCVS.
What you should be aware of before enrolling
- The written examinations are likely to be provided through an online examination assessment system.
- You will need to bring your own laptop to the examination venue for the written examinations, these cannot be performed on tablets/ipads or phones.
- The written examinations will be held before the College’s Scientific Conference and the practical and oral examination will be held after the conference.
- Membership practical examinations will be conducted at state capital venues only.
Please read the latest information here.
Membership Examination Resources:
- Membership Candidate Handbook
- Subject Guidelines
- Sample Examination Papers
- Membership Application Form 2022
Intention to sit Membership in future years:
Intention to sit applications are being accepted for 2023 or 2024 subject examinations. Forms must be signed. No application fee is required with an intention to sit application.
Intention to Sit applications will only be processed for future examination periods, please state which year you intend to sit your subject examination. Please note: intention to sit is not an acceptance by the College that candidates will be accepted for future examination periods.
All intending Candidates should thoroughly read the Membership Candidate Handbook and their Subject Guideline.
The content of the examination is defined by both the subject title and the subject guidelines.
- Candidates for Membership of the College should be eligible for registration as a veterinarian in an Australian State or in New Zealand. Council may at its discretion approve a candidate who has veterinary qualifications recognised as being equivalent to Australasian qualifications.
- At least three and a half years must have elapsed since the Candidate’s original registrable veterinary degree was conferred before taking the examination, preferably in full-time employment.
- Candidates who have not had the opportunity of working intensively in a limited field of activity and in a situation where an opportunity for learning from other veterinarians is available would be advised to prolong their preparation period to six or even eight years.
Applicants will be assessed on their knowledge and skills at the Membership examination. Performance in the Membership examination is assessed on the basis that the candidate shall achieve a pass mark of 70% or above as detailed in section 12.9 of the Membership Candidate Handbook.
Although Membership of the College indicates that the member has some expertise and competence in the nominated area, it is important to note that Fellowship is the College qualification that signifies the standard required by those seeking veterinary specialist registration.
Further information on Membership examinations can be found in the Membership Candidate Handbook.
Cost and closing date 2022:
- Membership Examination fee 2022 (excluding Medicine of Cats UK) - AUD$1,410.00
- Medicine of Cats UK - AUD$2,820.00
- The administration component of the fee is 25% and is non-refundable.
- Applications close October 31st, 2021
- Please refer to Medicine of Cats UK page regarding information for this subject examination
Sharon Tinsley - Assistant College Manager
Telephone: +61 (7) 3423 2016
The Board of Examiners has released the following candidate feedback from the College membership examinations:
- Candidate Feedback Summary of Membership Examinations 2019
- Candidate Feedback Summary of Membership Examinations 2018
- Summary of Membership Examination feedback 2017
- Summary of feedback received from Membership Candidates in 2015