Veterinary Public Health (VPH) is that discipline of veterinary science dedicated to improving the physical, mental and social well-being of humans.
VPH draws upon the following areas of knowledge: diagnosis, surveillance, epidemiology, control, prevention and elimination of zoonoses; protection of food (including meat and milk) for human consumption; food and meat science; environmental protection; animal welfare; and the social and behavioural aspects of inter-human and human-animal.
The objects of the Chapter are
- to advance the science and art of veterinary science as it relates specially to Veterinary Public Health and in particular to encourage and aid recruitment to the disciipline, College and the Chapter
- to further the professional education and training of veterinarians with a special interest in Veterinary Public Health
- to encourage research in Veterinary Public Health
- to facilitate the exchange of knowledge between veterinarians with a special interest in Veterinary Public Health
- to ecourage exchange of knowledge and collaborative work with other scientists working in the field of Veterinary Public Health, and
- to encourage publications in the sphere of Veterinary Public Health.