The Chapter aims to foster the interest of veterinarians in the understanding of small animal diseases. This aim is met by working within the College to provide an examination process that allows recognition of further study in the field of small animal medicine. Members should be familiar with pathophysiological mechanisms, aetiology, diagnosis, and case management of small animal disease. The Chapter:
- actively seeks mentors for candidates and supports the formation of mentor groups to provide support and guidance for prospective members
- prepares examinations and organise examiners for Membership candidates
- produces regular newsletters to disseminate relevant information to members
- provides support for members in preparation of material for publication or presentation.
- provides a forum for presentation of material to peers at regular scientific meetings
In addition the Chapter is responsible for the organisation of Fellowship examinations. Success at these rigorous examinations allows eligibility for specialist registration. Intending candidates may be examined in either canine medicine or small animal medicine to gain entry to the Chapter.