Veterinary Behaviour Practitioner
- Do you want to join one of Victoria's most recognised not-for-profit animal welfare organisations?
- Exciting opportunity to join our Animal Health and Behaviour team
- Permanent part-time position (a flexible 2 days per week) at our Burwood East site
About RSPCA Victoria
RSPCA Victoria is a non-government, community-based, not-for-profit organisation whose vision is ‘ending cruelty to all animals’. We are Victoria’s best-known and most respected animal welfare organisation.
Our organisation’s purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, and animal care and protection. RSPCA Victoria’s values - clarity and accountability, respect and consideration, and expertise and collaboration - set clear expectations for all our staff and volunteers.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting a veterinary behaviour practitioner to join our Animal Health and Behaviour Team in a permanent part-time capacity. This position will be accommodated at 2 days per week, and flexibility around these working days can be provided to the right candidate. The veterinary behaviour practitioner will be responsible for the development, delivery and monitoring of strategies and education programs that ensure a high standard of behavioural medicine, care and handling to animals in our care and the wider community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Veterinarian, you will:
- Support RSPCA Victoria clinics by providing behavioural services and advice, and contribute to the provision of a high level of service to internal and external customers
- Provide coaching and support to volunteers and staff on animal behaviour to build their capability to support owners of animals with behavioural problems, foster carers and adopters of animals with behavioural problems
- Contribute to developing, implementing, monitoring and improving the animal behaviour and assessment programs, procedures and protocols for shelter animals.
- Contribute to developing and overseeing behaviour and enrichment programs for shelter animals and manage cases of animals with behavioural problems
- Contribute to developing, implementing and evaluating best practice animal behaviour management, behaviour modification, training and education programs
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with peers across all departments, and consistently behaving in accordance with the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies.
What we are looking for from you
- A Bachelor of Veterinary Science and current Victoria Veterinary Surgeon Registration
- Extensive experience practicing as a Veterinarian in a shelter or private clinic environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging work environment, whilst showing great care and compassion to the animals in our shelter.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a team environment, including the ability to develop the capability of less experienced team members.
- Previous experience in a veterinary behaviour practitioner role and/or delivering behavioural medicine services is desirable
- Postgraduate qualification in Veterinary Behavioural Medicine will be highly regarded, but not essential
- Dog training qualification such as National Dog Trainers Federation, Delta or similar will also be highly regarded, but not essential.
- This position also requires a valid Victorian Driver’s License and current tetanus vaccination.
What we can offer you
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, additional leave (6 days per year pro-rata), purchased leave, paid parental leave, study leave, annual CPD allowance and paid family and domestic violence leave.
- Access to a range of mental health and wellbeing supportive initiatives, including confidential counselling services, education programs and access to a wealth of resources.
- Generous discount on products and services, including Hill’s pet food, Hush Puppies footwear and RSPCA Victoria retail and vet clinic products and services
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, Maxxia.
- Access to a range of learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
How to apply
To learn more about our organisation and this job opportunity, please visit our website at www.rspcavic.org and download the Position Description attached to this advertisement for more details. Alternatively, please contact our Chief Veterinarian, Emma Bronts at firstname.lastname@example.org
If this role is of interest to you, submit your application with your cover letter and resume, addressing how you meet the selection criteria.
RSPCA Victoria is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access RSPCA Victoria’s Diversity & Inclusion Policy here.