Full-time & Part time opportunities
Burwood & Pearcedale
- Make a difference in animal welfare with a leading not-for-profit organisation
- Opportunity to expand & develop your skills in both shelter & private practice medicine
- Permanent Full-Time and Part-Time opportunities available
Are you tired of it all coming down to the money?
Negative client interactions taking a toll on your mental health?
Do you want to get back to your roots and find the passion that drove you to become a vet?
Do you want to be practising high quality surgery and medicine in a way that will make a real impact on the welfare of all creatures, great and small?
Then it's time to look at a career with RSPCA Victoria.
About RSPCA Victoria
Life at RSPCA Victoria is varied and exciting. One day you are learning tips and tricks from surgeon Wing Tip Wong, the next it's a a day of Zen as you bliss out in a high-volume desexing day. You may find yourself harness your infectious disease control skills when working with shelter animals or you may be joining the health panel to collectively brainstorm the next steps for a particularly interesting case. Learn the behavioural medicine secrets of specialist Dr Gabrielle Carter, attend imaging tutorials with imaging specialist Dr Natalie Webster, develop a special skill or interest in exotics or explore leadership and mentoring opportunities; the lateral room for career growth is limited only by you. But best of all you are the voice for the underdogs (and cats, and exotics) of the animal world.
What we can offer you
- A great, cohesive and supportive team with 12 vets working on site each day;
- A uniquely diverse role with the opportunity to expand your skillset in shelter medicine, private practice and animal welfare;
- An opportunity to work with and learn from special interest practitioners in areas such as orthopaedics, medicine, ultrasound and ophthalmology, laser and acupuncture;
- Development of special interest skills through weekly CPD, annual CPD allowance and 5 days of study leave per year and scholarship opportunities.
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, additional leave (6 days per year), purchased leave, paid parental leave (6 weeks) and family and domestic violence leave;
- Opportunities to be involved in special projects or pursue your special interest areas;
- Access to our Employee and Volunteer Assistance Program (EVAP);
- Generous discount on products and services, including pet food
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, Maxxia;
The salary is commensurate for experience and part time roles are possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide veterinary services to shelter, private and Inspectorate animals within RSPCA Victoria veterinary clinics in a professional and caring manner, including conducting complex medical consultations and surgical procedures and providing detailed advice in complicated areas of veterinary science;
- Observing, documenting, reporting and treating health and behaviour concerns of animals in our care;
- Provide a high level of service to internal and external customers, as well as education, support and guidance to members of the public to influence positive animal welfare outcomes and promote the services of the organisation;
- Ensure all necessary documentation relating to customer interactions and the management of animals within the veterinary clinic are recorded in accordance with RSPCA Victoria procedures;
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with peers within the veterinary clinic and across all other departments, and consistently behaving in accordance with the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies;
- Provide education, support, training and guidance to less experienced team members to build their knowledge, skills and experience as Veterinarians, to enhance the reputation and capability of RSPCA Victoria veterinary clinics;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of standard operating procedures and work instructions to fulfil organisational and legislative requirements in the management of RSPCA Victoria veterinary clinics;
- Takes reasonable care for the safety of oneself and others, whilst contributing to safe work practices at RSPCA Victoria by knowing and complying with all WH&S policies and procedures;
- Fulfill annual continuous professional development (CPD) requirements to maintain registration and currency of knowledge in veterinary science.
What we are looking for from you
- A Bachelor of Veterinary Science, current Victorian Veterinary surgeon registration, microchipping license and radiation license;
- Capability to conduct simple to complex clinical consultations and surgical procedures independently appropriate to level of veterinary experience;
- Ability and desire to coach less experienced staff;
- Ability to operate as a team player, generate enthusiasm in the team and build effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Resilience and a strong collaborative drive;
- A desire to work with the community to improve animal welfare outcomes.
Qualifications and other requirements
- Victorian driver’s licence, radiation use licence and microchipping implantation certificate;
- Availability to work across a seven-day rotation roster, including 1 in 4 weekends and some public holidays;
- A current tetanus vaccination (or willingness to obtain one).
- Valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate
How to apply
If you are interested in making a difference to animal welfare and the excitement of private and shelter medicine, please visit the advertisement for this position on our website at www.rspcavic.org and download the position description (top right-hand corner). For further information, please contact email@example.com or our Senior Veterinarians directly on 9224 2222.
If this role is of interest to you, submit your application with your cover letter and resume, addressing how you meet the selection criteria. Applications close on Sunday the 10th of July, 2022
RSPCA Victoria is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access RSPCA Victoria’s Diversity & Inclusion Policy here.