Veterinarian Primary Care
Join Australia’s No. 1 University as a Veterinarian in Primary Care and combine your passion for delivering client focussed veterinary services with teaching the next generation.
- Based in Melbourne, Australia with a range of great benefits and supportive colleagues
- Grow your veterinary skill-set in leading edge veterinary care, teaching, research and/or scholarly activities
- Contribute to the growth and development of a leading veterinary hospital
About the role
This position is subject to your eligibility to work in Australia. The Australian Department of Home Affairs have added Veterinarian to their exemption list for visas under the current Australian border closure and you will receive professional support to assist you to obtain an appropriate visa.
The University of Melbourne is Australia’s No. 1 ranked University. Following a restructure of our Veterinary teaching hospital, we are seeking multiple Veterinarians who are experienced General Practice/Primary Care clinicians to take our hospital to the next level. Our purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal care through our teaching hospital by offering first class care to all clients.
Our Veterinarians in General Practice/Primary Care also educate the next generation of veterinary practitioners and veterinary scientists and as such you will be expected to enhance the University’s reputation through scholarship in clinical activities and teaching. This will be achieved by delivering teaching into our Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program and clinical training to veterinary postgraduate students.
We are looking for true team players with high leadership and communication skills who are enthusiastic about animal care and training the next generation as well as undertaking clinical research.
We have multiple Primary Care Veterinarian positions available at Level A or Level B with a salary range of AUD $75,289 to $127,707 + 17% superannuation (pension).
You will work in our newly refurbished, state-of-the-art U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital based at the University of Melbourne’s Werribee Campus which is 28 kms (17 miles) or about 30 minutes’ drive from the Melbourne CBD and be supported by our highly skilled Veterinary Nurse team.
Werribee is a large suburb with well-established amenities and plenty of primary and secondary schools along with some new housing estates. 48 kms (29 miles) further down the coast is Geelong which is Victoria’s second largest city and home to both public and private schools and is also the gateway to the Bellarine Peninsula which is known for being family friendly and surf beaches, historic towns and wineries.
What we are looking for from you:
A minimum of two years’ experience in an appropriate role in small animal general practice/primary care practice, emergency practice or small animal hospital practice.
You will be an enthusiastic and compassionate Veterinarian who is a true team player with exceptional communication skills and who is able to communicate with clients clearly with tact and diplomacy regarding their animals’ welfare and needs. The ability to lead and generate enthusiasm amongst others and build effective professional relationships with both internal and external clients will be important in these posts. As you will be appointed into a university veterinary teaching hospital, you will be required to have demonstrated experience in teaching (in a veterinary practice, university or other relevant setting) and/or clinical research and/or scholarly activity. The level of appointment will be determined by your experience, qualifications and outputs as determined by a Selection Panel against University standards.
Qualifications and other requirements
- Level A and B - Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences, DVM or equivalent degree, registrable in the State of Victoria.
- Level B - whilst not essential, a postgraduate qualification in veterinary sciences or progress toward a masters or membership qualification or the RCVS Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Practice, or equivalent may be an advantage.
- A current vaccination for Tetanus, Hepatitis A and B as well as Q fever, or prepared to have these prior to commencement.
- A current and valid Working with Children check on commencement.
- Availability to work a 24/7 roster which may include nights, weekends and public/University (Bank) holidays
What we can offer you:
- A full time, continuing post
- An attractive salary based on your qualifications and experience + 17% superannuation (pension)
- Professional assistance with applying for an appropriate visa to work in Australia
- An attractive relocation package for yourself and your immediate family from your primary place of residence to Melbourne, Australia with the assistance from professional relocation specialists
- A uniquely diverse role with the opportunity to expand your skillset
- A great, cohesive and supportive team, working in state-of-the-art facilities with a skilled veterinary nurse assistance
- Attractive leave entitlements that include annual leave, 13 weeks long service leave (pro rata at 7 years’ service), personal leave, carers leave, purchased leave, parental leave of 14-24 weeks full pay (following a qualifying period), and Public (Bank) holidays
- Development of special interest skills through CPD and scholarship opportunities, subject to approval and budget
- Salary packaging, including health insurance and novated lease (vehicle) arrangements
- Fee discounts for study at the University of Melbourne for self and immediate family
- Easy on-site parking
How to apply
Visit the University of Melbourne’s careers page for further details https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers