Veterinarian at Sydney Zoo
Sydney Zoo is a new large metropolitan Zoo that opened December 2019. Sydney Zoo showcases a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design. A strong focus on animal welfare and engaging our visitors with our animals’ natural history and their conservation challenges. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment. Sydney Zoo’s Animal Care Team continually work towards providing excellence in animal care and facilities with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Veterinary Science Manager, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. The role will commence as soon as possible.
The Veterinary Science Manager (VSM) will be responsible holistic preventative Animal Health Care & Veterinary Services. Take a leading role in Veterinary Science, Research and Conservation Medicine. Play a leadership role in the Veterinary department and as a member of the Snr Animal Care Team. The VSM will be responsible to build, develop, maintain and manage relationships with Universities, Veterinary Faculties and local veterinary practices. The VSM is responsible for the safe use of veterinary medicines and formulation and maintenance of veterinary health and safety procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- A minimum of four years demonstrated veterinary experience Previous experience in large animal or mixed animal practice
- Experience in zoo animal practice, not essential but would be advantageous
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Driver's license and the ability to drive a manual vehicle (preferable).
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small team including setting directions, monitoring work, supervising staff.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft applications, familiarity with record systems, such as ZIMS and web-based research.
- First Aid Certification (desirable)
- Firearms License (desirable)
To apply for this position please visit the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers and click on the advertised position. Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close at Midday on Friday 26th June 2020.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to email@example.com.
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.