Specialist Veterinarians – especially Small Animal Medicine at the Animal Referral and Emergency Centre
Help us expand our referral team in Newcastle!
Demand for small animal referral services continues to increase in our region, so we are keen to hear from Specialist Veterinarians – especially for the area of Small Animal Medicine.
We hope for a full time commitment, however we are a flexible workplace and happy to consider other arrangements.
Who we are:
The Newcastle Animal Referral & Emergency Centre (AREC) is a growing after hours referral centre. We are located in the centre of Newcastle and currently cater to 75+ referring hospitals within our catchment region and the nearest specialist centre is >2hrs away.
The existing team consists of surgeon, visiting specialist dermatologist, specialist critical care, and a referral rehabilitation veterinarian, supported by 6.5 full time equivalent emergency vets and 18 nurses and support staff coming from a diverse range of backgrounds but we share our fundamental Core Value of Respect, shown through Diligence, Empathy, Excellence, Integrity and Professionalism.
What you should be:
- Board certified or Fellow in small animal or canine internal medicine (Registrars may apply)
- Like minded in our core values
- Passionate about delivering top quality medicine and care
- An open and clear communicator
- Must have a sense of humour
What your work will involve:
- To arrive daily with a good attitude, rounded with fatigued (and probably hungry) colleagues, be open to discuss case management with colleagues (veterinarians and nurses), referring practitioners, and clients, maintain impeccable medical records, schedule patients for treatments and diagnostics, be actively involved with continuing education (with both staff and the regional industry), and of course delivering the best veterinary care to patients and clients whilst positively representing the AREC.
- Exceptional communication skills. You will be expected to establish a good rapport with referring veterinarians by providing timely and professional communications about case referrals and assist in their professional growth and education by case recommendations and participation in continuing education plans. You will also be expected to establish a good rapport with clients by providing quality medical advice, discussing various treatment options for their pets, discussing all fees involved and financial arrangements with clients and ensuring all clients leave with medical records.
- Assist with marketing your services; ensuring hospital policies and procedures are trained, maintained, and adhered to; working in a team, and participate in promotional activities. If further detail is required, we can send you a full copy of the job description.
- Regular baking days.
What we can offer you:
- Full time or Part time employment. Remuneration will be base salary and a % of your productivity
- Professional fees
- Membership fees
- Continuing education costs and study leave
- For international applicants, sponsorship will be available
- The onsite arsenal you will have at your disposal will include CT imaging (GE Lightspeed 4), endoscopy (Olympus Exera Evis), digital x-ray (Fujifilm FCR prima), Ultrasound (MyLab 70 – Vet XV), and your typical in house pathology (Vet Scan HM5, Vetscan VS2, Vetscan VSPro, iStat, lactate monitor…)
- Plus access to the impressive MRI located in HMRI on the grounds of John Hunter Hospital (only a few minutes drive away)
- Awesomeness by osmosis
- The opportunity to grow & develop a specialist referral network with existing referral partners, and beyond
Hear from vets who have both settled in our region and worked whilst traveling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsdS9nr9AW8
Newcastle as a home:
- A large modern city with less hustle and bustle you would expect for its size, situated 2 hours north of Sydney, less than an hour drive to the famous Hunter wine region, surrounded by national parks and forests, bordered by beaches, bays, the Hunter River and Lake Macquarie.
- It boasts one of Australia’s leading universities, busiest ports and home of the Newcastle Knights (Rugby League) and Newcastle Jets (Football). Like any large modern city, contains all the amenities of one with a variety of schools, shopping centres, health services, and sport organisations.
- We don’t have Sydney’s traffic, Melbourne’s cold, Adelaide’s heat nor Brisbane’s thunderstorms!
- Maybe you also have a partner/family who needs a better understanding of the vast range of opportunities available across all industries?
Here is a video produced by a local business on our region: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xw9HLn5hbo
For further information about Newcastle please see:
- Newcastle City Council Tourism: https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/
- Newcastle City Council: http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/home
To further discuss, please speak to Nicole Ottery on +61 2 4957 7106, or Dr David Tabrett: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can apply at : https://arecvet.com.au/medicine-specialist-position/