The Austin Vet Specialists is growing! Having opened in May 2022, we see an ever-growing and exciting caseload of mostly small animals with the occasional exotic and zoo animal (think lion, capybara, orangutan).
The Austin is looking for a Specialist Radiologist (boarded or board-eligible) who is passionate about patient care and competent in all areas of veterinary diagnostic imaging.
Be part of a fast-growing independently owned referral centre
(And if you’re not sure about moving to South Australia – read on, I guarantee you will be tempted)
Ideal Radiologist position
Want to combine clinical work with teleradiology with teaching with full-time life?
- Do you like clinical work because you like to interact with other specialists?
- Do you like teleradiology because you enjoy interacting with other radiologists (and have a cat/dog at your feet)?
- Do you love teaching residents, interns and vets?
- Do you believe in work-life balance with time for yourself and your family, and explore beautiful Australia?
Do ALL of the above…we understand! Truly, we do. Because we are one of the few specialist centres co-founded by a radiologist.
We believe that interaction with other specialists makes you a better clinician, teleradiology makes you a better radiologist and teaching engages your learning and advances the profession whilst increasing our fulfilment in work…see – told you we understand!
Why join us?
Whilst the job market is a buyer’s market at the moment, this position is unique. As a new centre, we want to be a force for change with a proper work-life balance (no weekends or public holidays), referral work only (no ER), excellent financial reward (including equity if desired) and the possibility to shape this role to your liking. Are you ready for the next step in your career?
About the role:
The Austin is relatively young (founded in May 2022) but we are very well-received in Adelaide. This has resulted in an ever-growing and exciting caseload of mostly small animals with the occasional exotic and zoo animal (think lion, capybara, orangutan).
Are you ready to be the radiologist of the future?
As our growth continues, it is time to expand our services. The Austin is looking for a Specialist Radiologist (boarded or board-eligible) to join our lovely team. We want you to be happy and we believe this requires a flexible work environment and role. So design your ideal mixture of roles and be happy (and apply for this position)!
How we work
The imaging department consists of two board-certified radiologists (ECVDI - fulltime and ACVR – part-time), one imaging resident, one visiting resident, one imaging intern and a full complement of nurses. But we need more people! And that’s where you come in…
Your daily work will revolve around the collaborative care of the patients in hospital and accepting imaging patients from referring vets during our opening hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm). Additionally, we run a mobile ultrasound service and run regular seminars and other CPD events. Whilst we will have overnight care, we do not intend to act as a 24/7 emergency service, and no on-call, overnight, weekend or public holiday care is expected.
Additionally, you will need to:
- Be passionate about quality and collaboration
- Lead and inspire the team
- Create a thriving, harmonious and supportive workplace
- Opportunities to develop innovative ideas
About The Austin:
We are a vibrant team of experienced veterinary specialists in internal medicine (ACVIM and ECVIM), surgery (ECVS), and diagnostic imaging (ECVDI and ACVR). Our entire team is carefully hand-picked for their attitude to patient care and the ability to work together.
Our aim is to enable personal and professional happiness and fulfilment. This sounds lofty but we believe firmly that supporting career development (and passions), which will lead to a more engaged and happier team. Which will, in turn, lead to better care for pets.
The hospital has all the instruments necessary to enable our specialists to relish their chosen careers, and flourish. This includes a spacious reception with dedicated client care services, large central treatment area with intensive care nursing facilities, radiology wing (including new Philips EPIQ Elite and CX-50 ultrasound machines, new Philips Incisive 64 slice CT scanner, Philips Veradius flat-panel fluoroscopy and cloud-based PACS), two dedicated imaging reading rooms (on clinic and separate for ‘deep reading’), fully kitted theatres (including orthopaedic, soft tissue and neurosurgery), medicine wing and much more including access to 3T MRI scanner and PET-CT scanner. In addition to our hospital duties, we also have a mobile ultrasound service, and expansion with our own high-field MRI is planned in the future.
You will enjoy:
- Four-day workweek – we care about a proper work/life balance!
- A proper work/life balance with 6 weeks of annual leave and option for more leave if desired.
- Each role will attract a salary starting at $250,000 or more (depending on experience) and includes bonus options and opportunities for equity partnership.
- We will assist and pay for all relocation and immigration fees, and provide sponsorship (for immigration purposes) if needed.
- The usual perks: 12 public holidays per year (2.5 weeks extra holiday), continuing education fund, long service leave (3 month sabbatical after 10 years of service), contribution to your superannuation (pension) and paid parental leave.
Needless to say, we fully support further education and career advancements, including the development of new techniques (e.g. interventional radiology, cardiology and more). We will also provide time and support for scientific studies, performing lectures and other individual interests.
Additionally, our radiologists are a founding member of the RIVDI programme as well as various other teaching programmes, and have a passion for teaching. The Austin is a supportive of board preparation so board-eligible residents are encouraged to apply.
- We will invest in your continuing education but need you to bring the motivation. In return, we will provide you with a challenging and satisfying career.
- We will provide a happy workplace (including dealing with any negative workplace behaviour) to ensure you enjoy working with us. At The Austin, we take recruitment very seriously because we know it is important to get the right people.
- Being a specialist centre, expect ambitious standards and awesomeness but also expect a lot of happiness and fulfillment from your job.
- ..and bring your dog to work – we have a dedicated pooch lounge for our team!
Why South Australia?
Multiple of our team have trained in the UK overseas. They are familiar with the process of moving (internationally), and it is less daunting than you’d expect!
Adelaide is a fantastic place to live, with emphasis on ‘live’. The lifestyle is unparalleled to other Australian cities. It enjoys a Mediterranean climate and has all the amenities you could desire from a city of 2 million people (including outstanding schools), but also has the most amazing beaches (west facing so sunsets!). Ten minutes outside the city you will find the scenic Adelaide Hills with free-roaming kangaroos and koalas as well as the world-renown wineries in the Barossa Valley and Maclaren Vale. An abundance of National Parks are within a lazy drive from Adelaide. Real estate is cheap with ample opportunity to live on the beach, or have that house in the country.
Come for a fixed period of time or stay longer – the choice is yours. We understand family needs and travel needs, so everything is open for discussion…talk to us and see.
Want to know more?
If our vision and ethos resonate with you or for a friendly no-strings-attached chat – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we are non-corporate and do not have large recruitment departments so instead you will speak directly to us…we’re very friendly (really, we are) so don’t worry!
Please note that applications will close 19th February 2022 unless the position is filled prior to this date so submit your application promptly.
Please send your CV and cover letter to Xander Huizing at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter including your reason for applying for this position and what attracted you to The Austin. Please also include your future career goals and prior experience. All applications will be treated confidentially, but please make sure you include contactable referees.