Specialist in Small Animal Surgery
We are looking for another dynamic surgeon to join our truly outstanding team. This exciting opportunity is most suited to a surgeon who is a team player and determined to take their career to the next level. At GARS you will enjoy a diverse and high-volume case load with excellent support from senior surgeons and specialists in other departments. A phenomenal team of residents, interns and nurses ensures you remain totally supported. Generous annual leave and a low impact on call roster also ensures work-life balance is much more than a throwaway line. We are completely dedicated to our team, and you would be joining a family where every member is highly valued, supported, rewarded, and cared for.
GARS is a privately owned, multidisciplinary, small animal referral hospital. The hospital is staffed 24/7 with onsite specialists in surgery, internal medicine, emergency critical care and diagnostic imaging. Specialists are supported by an outstanding team of residents, interns, nursing, HR and customer service staff.
The GARS vision is to be Victoria’s leading referral centre. Extending beyond our first-class facility, we are dedicated to recruiting like-minded, team players to help achieve this goal. The hospital is brand-new and purpose-built. It is surrounded by beautiful greenspaces, while overlooking the Barwon River, Balyang sanctuary and Balyang Golf course. The facility is packed with state-of-the-art equipment, some of which includes; onsite MRI, CT, C-arm Video Fluoroscopy, Endoscopy, Ultrasound, DR radiography, multiparameter patient monitoring, mechanical ventilators, ECG, blood gas/electrolyte, coagulation, haematology and biochemistry machines.
For the successful applicant, if you desire, there is also opportunity to work within our sister business, Melbourne Animal Referral Services (MARS), which is undergoing exciting expansion.
About the area
GARS overlooks the Balyang Golf Course and Barwon River with bike and walking paths right on our front doorstep. The popular cafes, restaurants and bars of Pakington street and Geelong CBD are only several minutes away. The outstanding wineries and distilleries of the Bellarine peninsula and beautiful beaches of Torquay Surf Coast and the famous Great Ocean Road are less than 25 minutes away. Transport links are excellent, with the South Geelong train station less than 3kms from the hospital, the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry, Avalon and Melbourne International Airports, 15, 25 and 60 minutes from the hospital. Major arterials are also close by, offering fast and easy connections to Melbourne, Victoria’s North, West and South.
About the GARS Surgery Service
The surgical department consists of five surgical specialists with a team of interns and nurses who and supported by specialists in imaging, medicine and critical care to provide stella patient care.
Our three operating theatres are truly enviable, overlooking the neighbouring golf course with each fully equipped with endoscopic towers, mono/bipolar electrocautery, suction and Bipolar Vessel Sealing Devices. Two of the theatres also have electric fluoroscopic tables to facilitate minimally invasive image guided neurologic, orthopaedic and interventional radiology procedures. We have multiple locking plate systems (LCP, SOP, Fixin) in all sizes from 1.5 to 4.5mm plus a complete speciality plate range (DPO, SHO, PCA, PanTA, ParTA, supracondylar etc). We also have Biomedtrix iLoc Interlocking nail system, IMEX circular and linear ESF in all sizes.
As Victoria’s leading joint replacement and resurfacing centre, we are the only site equipped and performing Biomedtrix THR (nano, micro, standard, giant and lateral bolt systems), Biomedtrix Total Elbow Replacement, Arthrex CUE, SynACART and Kyon PGR.
For soft tissue procedures, we have a comprehensive range of laparoscopic and thoracoscopic equipment plus all the staplers, Norfolk (Sub, AUS) and Infiniti (IH PSS) interventional radiology equipment and implants. For neurosurgery, we have Stryker electric neurosurgical systems and a comprehensive range of instrumentation. Hospital flow and ergonomics has been specifically designed for easy patient flow between MRI/CT/Imaging/theatre and recovery.
This position is hospital-based, however there is the ability to perform some mobile work if the candidate desires.
You will be an ANZCVS Fellow, ECVS, ACVS or RCVS Diplomate with the ability to register as a specialist within the state of Victoria. We are also interested in residency trained candidates. For overseas applicants that aren’t registered in Victoria, GARS can apply for special registration with the Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria.
We are specifically looking for a dynamic team player who is willing to collaborate with all members of staff while expanding our first-class service to patients, clients and referring vets. Core duties include accepting referral surgery cases and performing appropriate diagnostic workups and surgical treatment while always striving for the best possible patient outcomes. Area(s) of interest that the candidate wishes to advance to the highest possible level will be strongly supported.
You will have the following;
- A veterinary degree registerable in Victoria or a willingness to apply for special registration with the board and sit the Australasian Veterinary Examination
- Specialist in Surgery (FANZCVS, ECVS, ACVS or RCVS Diplomate) currently registered or eligible for registration as a specialist within the state of Victoria.
- Residency trained candidates will also be considered.
- Significant experience in all areas of referral surgery (or a desire to acquire those that you don’t yet possess).
- Passion for delivering the highest standard of care
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to lead and motivate junior staff
- Ability to provide tuition, guidance and mentorship to junior staff
- Commitment to lifelong learning and continuing education
- Commitment to the culture and values of the business
- Enthusiasm for and support of the growth and development of the business.
- Honest, reliable and loyal character
What we can offer you
- Sign on bonus.
- Relocation assistance (international or interstate)
- Highly competitive remuneration
- Part-time or full-time employment
- Extra annual leave
- Generous CPD allowance and support to develop your skills and advance your career in a chosen area(s)
- Privately owned means your ideas and requests are heard and acted upon rapidly
- Interdepartmental collaboration between a truly multidisciplinary hospital
- Opportunity to join a fun, friendly and highly efficient team
- Opportunity to develop and further any or all areas of surgery
- Work in a truly beautiful facility in an enviable location.
- An employer that aims to facilitate work life balance for all staff
- A caring and supportive environment that focuses on staff wellness and positive workplace culture
- Industry leading discounts for staff pets
For further information or to apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com