Small Animal Specialist Surgeon
South Tamworth Veterinary Hospital has a very large and loyal first opinion general practice. An exciting opportunity exists for a full-time Small Animal Specialist Surgeon to join our well established and experienced team.
South Tamworth is a renowned referral centre, servicing around 40 neighbouring clinics, stretching some 500 km. These referral cases account for approximately 50 percent of the case load. Referrals are both medical and surgical. Surgical referrals include a wide range of orthopaedic, neurological, oncological and soft tissue reconstruction. Our team is supported by a Board Certified Specialist in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care.
Tamworth is a regional centre in NSW with a population of approximately 62,000. It is rapidly growing and offers a blend of rural ambience with cosmopolitan living. Our airport offers 45-minute flight daily between Sydney and or Brisbane or a leisurely drive to our coastal beaches, ideal for a weekend retreat. Tamworth has many varied sporting venues and is renowned for the Australian Equine and Livestock Events Centre, being the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere. We are well known for our Country Music festival, the Conservatorium of Music, a major regional human teaching hospital and excellent primary and secondary schooling, with both public and private schools available. Housing is very affordable with an easy drive to work, offering families a relaxed lifestyle.
What’s Important to You
- A varied and interesting role
- A strong support network of very knowledgeable and experienced staff
- Training & professional development opportunities
- An opportunity to help build and support a strong team
- To be supported in your role and your career
- Permanent full-time role with hours and shifts that are flexible
- High standards of clinical and patient care
- Professional memberships to the AVA and a selection of other bodies
- Relocation assistance
- As an accredited Sponsor with Australian Immigration, Visa Sponsorship for Overseas Vets through our international migration agent
- Registerable specialist surgery qualification with the Veterinary Surgeons Board of New South Wales along with a registerable veterinary degree
- A strong work ethic and ability to work in a team, as well as the confidence to work autonomously
- Flexibility, enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Exceptional organisational and time management skills
- The ability to multitask and to demonstrate initiative
- Be flexible, adaptable and have a positive attitude
We have two surgical theatres. We have a highly qualified nursing team with many years of experience and training to complement our veterinary team.
Further education, special interests and clinical research are highly encouraged and well supported with a good financial education incentive offered. Case rounds and vet presentations occur on a daily and weekly basis respectively. We have an emphasis on providing mentoring support to facilitate the mental health and personal well-being of our team and run regular social events. We have a very extensive veterinary library in addition to online journals.
We run continuing education accredited courses for both veterinarians and nurses. Recent courses include advancements in neurology, ultrasonography, internal medicine and cardiology. We have local access to Laverty/Vetnostics pathology laboratory and a close working relationship with their pathologists and Internal medicine specialists, as well as on site Idexx haematology and blood chemistry equipment. We have local after-hours access to a 2.5 tesla MRI.
South Tamworth is a purpose-built facility. We are equipped with
- 8 anaesthetic machines (Elco and CIG machines)
- 6 Anitech multigas/BP/ECG monitors
- 5 ventilators
- Esoate Colour flow Doppler ultrasound
- ISTAT blood gases
- Rx Works and eFilm software
- Digital radiology including Canon DR
- GE C arm fluoroscopy
- GE 16 slice CT scanner
- Eklin PACs server and backup
- Olympus 180 digital flexible (gastroscope and bronchoscope) and rigid Storz endoscopy
- Leica operating microscope
- Extensive orthopaedic instrumentation - Synthes, IMMEX, Ilazarov, SOP kits, Storz arthroscopy equipment
- Getinge autoclave
For more information please contact our Talent Acquisition Manager, Damon Somerfield on 0466 636 815 or email firstname.lastname@example.org