Small Animal Internal Medicine Clinician
JCUVet is a multi-disciplinary teaching facility, which offers a full service general practice and referral services including small animal internal medicine, surgery, anesthesia, emergency and critical care. We provide our referral, emergency and critical care services to a wide catchment area across north Queensland ensuring an interesting and varied case load for all disciplines. The primary purpose of the hospital is to provide clinical tuition to 5th veterinary students across all of the services.
Established in 2010, we are a young hospital with expanding in-house referral services, as well as visiting specialist services including cardiology, dermatology and surgery services. We are building teams that provide exemplary patient care in a professional and supportive environment. Our goal is to secure experienced professional staff and support them with generous CE, career development, competitive remuneration and a great work life balance.
JCU Vet is a well-equipped purpose built hospital which offers a wide range of diagnostic, laboratory and monitoring equipment, including:
- Digital radiography, fluoroscopy
- Stortz Video Endoscopy
- 160 slice in-house CT
- Access to external MRI facilities
- Extensive anesthetic monitoring equipment
- Ventilation capabilities
- Full in-house IDEXX laboratory suite
- On-campus pathology laboratory
About the position
We are currently seeking a full-time Internal Medicine clinician. The position is primarily clinical with the opportunity to explore academic and research interests. The successful applicant would work in conjunction with the academic medicine clinicians to provide clinical tuition for 5th year students. JCUVet encourages career development and learning for both our own staff and the referring veterinarians. The SAIM clinician would contribute to in-house CE, clinician rounds and journal clubs and our continuing education program for referring veterinarians.
Student teaching and mentorship
The SAIM clinician works closely with the Academic Specialists to enable students to demonstrate and practice theoretical knowledge. Responsibilities include overseeing student case management, case rounds, tutorials, orientations and student assessment.
Research and academic opportunities
JCU Vet is committed to career progression for all employees. We encourage employee to develop their academic interests and offer support for research opportunities, publications and development of future intern or resident programs. We work closely with the James Cook University Veterinary School, enabling access to university services, which aid academic activity.
Skills and Experience
- Formal training in advanced Internal Medicine
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive patient care
- Strong interest & experience with clinical teaching the desire to develop progressive practice & contribute to practice growth
- The ability to work as part of a cohesive like-minded team
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Commitment to education of colleagues and referral veterinarians
- Strong background with ultrasonography
- Specialist qualifications including DACVIM, DECVIM or FANZCVS
What we offer
The successful candidates will receive:
- Generous remuneration – negotiable with experience
- Paid registration and radiation license fees
- Access to a wide range of CE opportunities
- Two (2) weeks paid study leave per annum
- Four (4) weeks annual leave
- Access to regular in-house discussion forums and tutorials
- Access to the university library and other learning portals including membership to VIN and Vet Education
- Opportunities to contribute to the growth of the SAIM service
- Non-clinical time to peruse academic & research interests
We live in a beautiful, sunny part of the world next to the tropical rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef, all without the hassle and expense of inner-city living. Townsville is great for families and has plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, mountain bike riding, fishing, diving and camping. Magnetic Island provides a mixture of beaches, walks and adventure sports along with reef dives and snorkeling, and the beautiful rainforests of Paluma are less than an hour’s drive away. The city is small and easy to get around yet has plenty of restaurants and an active nightlife alongside museums, botanic gardens, and a new world-class stadium.
If you would like to learn more about the advertised position or submit an application (CV and cover letter) please contact our clinical coordinator Elizabeth Bertram.
Elizabeth Bertram RVN
(07) 4781 3600