Residency Training Programs - Commencing January 2024
- Internal Medicine
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Critical Care
This is an exciting opportunity most suited to those who are true team players determined to advance their career to the highest level in their chosen field. At GARS you will enjoy a diverse and high-volume case load in a large multidisciplinary hospital. Outstanding support and education from a collaborative team of specialists, department specific and rotating interns ensures the depth and breadth of training experience demanded by these positions.
Founded in September 2022, GARS is a privately owned, multidisciplinary, small animal referral hospital. The hospital is staffed 24/7 with onsite specialists in surgery, internal medicine, emergency critical care and diagnostic imaging.
The GARS vision is to be Victoria’s leading referral centre. Extending beyond our first-class facility, we are dedicated to recruiting like-minded, team players to help achieve this goal. The hospital is brand-new and purpose-built. It is surrounded by beautiful greenspaces, overlooking the Barwon River, Balyang sanctuary and Balyang Golf course. The facility is packed with state-of-the-art equipment, some of which includes; onsite MRI, CT, C-arm Video Fluoroscopy, Endoscopy, Ultrasound, DR radiography, multiparameter patient monitoring, mechanical ventilators, ECG, blood gas/electrolyte, coagulation, haematology and biochemistry machines.
Department specific equipment is extremely comprehensive, permitting investigation and treatment of a huge array of conditions, contributing to an excellent training environment.
GARS is completely dedicated to its team, and you will be joining a family where every member is highly valued, supported, rewarded, and cared for.
About the area
GARS overlooks the Balyang Golf Course and Barwon River with bike and walking paths right on our front doorstep. The popular cafes, restaurants and bars of Pakington street and Geelong CBD are only several minutes away. The outstanding wineries and distilleries of the Bellarine peninsula and beautiful beaches of Torquay Surf Coast and the famous Great Ocean Road are less than 25minutes away. Transport links are excellent, with the South Geelong train station less than 3kms from the hospital, the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry, Avalon and Melbourne International Airports, 15, 25 and 60 minutes from the hospital. Major arterials are also close by, offering fast and easy connections to Melbourne, Victoria’s North, West and South.
- Structured, three-year training program under the tutelage of a diverse group of specialists who have trained from around the globe
- Opportunity to continue beyond your chosen training program within GARS and/or our sister business MARS
- Programs are ANZCVS +/- European college based
- Mentorship, training, support and guidance is provided by your department specific and our broader group of specialists (Surgery, Internal Medicine, Emergency Critical Care and Diagnostic Imaging)
- Aside from clinical duties you will be required to complete and present clinical research
- Active participation in journal clubs, chapter reviews, M&M rounds and CPD events is required
Key Accountabilities of a GARS Resident
You will always;
- Strive to provide clinical excellence in the treatment of all patients
- Seek guidance from senior staff where appropriate
- Foster positive collaboration with all hospital departments
- Achieve and maintain amicable relationships with staff from referring practices.
- Represent the hospital and business in a positive and respectful manner
- Complete case-based paperwork diligently and in a timely fashion
- Foster a friendly and unified team environment
- Develop and execute research projects/publications in line with the demands of your particular training program
- Present your research at national and international conferences
You will have the following;
- You are driven to achieving the highest possible standards of patient care
- You truly value and understand the definition of teamwork
- You wish to work within a facility where staff excel at their job within a fun, inclusive and exceptional workspace
- Registered as a veterinarian in Victoria (or ability to do so)
- General practice experience is desirable, but not essential
- Rotating internship and or discipline specific internship highly desirable
- Further qualifications in chosen discipline highly desirable eg. ANZCVS Membership or UK Certificate
- Publications in the field highly desirable
- Dedication to achieving specialist status in your chosen field
- Passion for delivering the highest standard of care
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong work ethic and enthusiasm for high caseload
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Commitment to lifelong learning and continuing education
- Commitment to the culture and values of the business
- Honest, reliable and loyal character
- Additional discipline specific qualities/experience will be discussed during interviews
Pay and Conditions
- Start date: January 2024
- Salaried full-time position
- Annual leave, personal/carer’s leave, parental leave, compassionate leave and community service leave will accrue and be provided in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009
- Superannuation paid additional to salary package at 11.0%
- CPD allowance is 2% of base wage
- Radiation Licence expense covered during employment
Please email your cover letter and CV to GARS practice manager Dana Kiers (email@example.com) clearly stating the program you are applying for.
- Interviews: September-October
- Programs commence: January 2024