Medicine Resident VSS Jindalee
Are you a veterinarian who has a passion for medicine and would like to become an internal medicine specialist working in a genuine multi-disciplinary team?
Are you resilient and a clear and effective communicator?
Do you like the challenge of complex cases with dedicated owners?
This residency in Small Animal Medicine will offer you the unique opportunity of combining a large and diverse caseload in a busy private practice with structured training similar to a university setting.
VSS employs a highly experienced Internal Medicine Specialist with post graduate qualifications in teaching, exclusively to train medicine residents!! This is a unique scenario within a private practice in Australia! It allows us to offer you quality structured training including journal club, Ettinger and pathophysiology rounds as well as providing support to complete your publications and closer to exam time, structured exam preparation. This will give you a very strong grounding with which to achieve FANZCVS.
In addition, your primary supervisor will be an experienced medicine specialist who will assist you in attaining a high level of clinical and procedural acumen. You will also have the luxury of input from and exposure to multiple other disciplines including dermatology, ophthalmology, surgery, emergency and critical care, feline medicine, cardiology, anaesthesia, dentistry, oncology and physiotherapy.
The nursing support is excellent with a large team of highly skilled and dedicated nurses with some holding specialist nursing qualifications. We have a dedicated medical typist service to assist in completing paperwork. We also work alongside an emergency practice that takes care of our patients afterhours.
Ultimately, the aim is to deliver the best outcomes for our patients, clients and referring practitioners while achieving your goal of becoming a specialist in Small Animal Medicine.
Veterinary Specialist Services is an established Small Animal referral practice in South East Queensland. We have multiple residencies in Small Animal Medicine available across our 3 practices, Carrara, Jindalee and Underwood. We are striving to create an environment where people can do their best work. Our teams are very passionate about delivering patient care and support each other to do it. We have a diverse skill set and can offer just about all specialities, diagnostic modalities and therapies across our practice group. We are actively involved in the industry with wide participation in professional groups, universities, continuing education courses and we have our own conference held annually.
What we are looking for
- You will have a passion for internal medicine
- You will be resilient and an effective communicator
- Experience in general practice and an understanding of the challenges facing our referring veterinarians would be highly valued
- Ideally, you would have already attained MANZCVS and be comfortable with ultrasound, although neither is essential
- You will be a genuine team player in any size team. This means different personalities, work styles and methods, but with the same ultimate goal
You want the support and structure to develop yourself and your clinical skills
- You understand that we all have a role to play, and that the ultimate outcome is to deliver the best possible care for our patients, our clients and our referring veterinarians
- You will be genuinely adaptable – things have changed a lot in the last 12 months and we foresee ongoing change as we adapt to continue to improve our workplace
- You understand that when a patient needs us, we will do our utmost to be there and give them the care they deserve
Why we hope you’ll want to join us.
- You will work as a part of a passionate, multi-disciplinary team. We want you to become a part of this team well beyond the successful completion of your residency!
- We have a history of successfully training people and have structured the residency in order for you to achieve your goals
- We are evolving the company with a focus on people, their careers and their development. This is a work in progress and we want the right people along for the journey
- We listen and try to respond to our people’s needs. We don’t always get it right and we will keep trying. We are owned and run by veterinarians who work on the floor in the clinic
- We work a 4 day week with occasional weekends. After hours care for your patients is provided by a dedicated emergency and critical care team
Why you might not want to join us.
- Our case load is unpredictable and complex and our clients are devoted to their pets! They are with us to get the best care and they want to see that delivered in a compassionate and professional way. While this can be stressful, the overwhelming majority of our clients and patients are very grateful for the work we do
- There is a high rate of change in the organisation at the moment. We are making changes to procedures, protocols and staffing levels. These are all with the intent of improving our environment, but some changes take time to progress through into reality and adaptation is required
- You do not see yourself having a long and successful career as an Internist
Please either submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au. We understand the employment market for Residencies is competitive and are happy to talk about remuneration. We’ve got the policies and support programs you’d expect from a larger practice. You can check out our website (vss.net.au) have a look at our Veterinary Resource Area, https://www.vss.net.au/vss-resource-area.html or let us know if you’d like to talk to one of our team members for some unbiased feedback on how things are in the clinic.
Applications close 20th August 2021