Internship in Small Animal Surgery
Small Animal Specialist Hospital
Are you a vet with a passion for surgery? Are you looking for an opportunity to start your journey towards becoming a surgical specialist? Are you looking for a program with a proven track record of producing candidates who often successfully secure Residency programs both locally and abroad? The SASH Surgical internship could be what you have been looking for!
We have an exciting opportunity for an Intern in Small Animal Surgery. You will assist our 3 specialist surgeons with diagnosis, surgical treatment, and post operative care of surgical patients. SASH sees a broad range of Orthopaedic and Soft tissue cases. The surgery department is well resourced with arthroscopy and laparoscopy to allow many minimally invasive image-guided procedures. We are also equipped with 3 different locking plate systems, interlocking nail, universal, micro and nano Biomedtrix total hip replacement equipment, linear and circular Imex ESF, and equipment for Kyon PAUl, TTA, TPLO and CBLO among others. Imaging is of the highest standard with digital radiology and CT scanner. You will also have support from our radiology and anaesthesia specialists. Our sports medicine and rehabilitation department has rapidly expanded to provide you with support from two rehabilitation therapists with access to laser and hydrotherapy tank treatments.
The internship has been structured to prepare the candidate for a residency in small animal surgery. The programme will run for 12 to 18 months, allowing the intern adequate time to complete guided project(s) in the hospital’s clinical research areas. We anticipate that the findings of such research will be presented at a scientific meeting and published in a peer-reviewed journal.
The intern will play a major role in internal journal clubs and inter-practice round presentations as well as daily surgery rounds. Assistance in preparation towards membership of the ANZCVS is also available.
Key skills for this role include:
- Highly motivated to pursue a career in specialist small animal surgery
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to liaise with different levels within a business
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Have a flexible approach to issues
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Strong work ethic and commitment to the culture and values of SASH
To be successful in this position you will:
- Have completed a rotating internship
- Have a veterinary degree entitling you to register as a veterinarian in NSW
What we can offer you:
- A great learning environment in a team that loves to share knowledge and experience.
- Free onsite parking and close to public transport
- Supportive team
- Employee Assistance Program
- Continuing education allowance
- Staff discounts and social events
If you are interested in the prospect of working with a great team with plenty of support at all times from other vets and nurses in a hospital with excellent facilities and challenging and rewarding cases, don’t miss this opportunity, apply today!
The next step is to forward your resume with a cover letter: Attention Jessica O’Connor quoting Reference No: SXINT/CC20 to email: email@example.com.
May/June commencement date for the successful candidate.