Internal Medicine Specialist or Residency Trained Internal Medicine Clinician Full Time/ Part Time
GARS is a multidisciplinary small animal referral hospital staffed 24/7 with onsite specialists in surgery internal medicine, emergency and critical care, supported by specialists in oncology and diagnostic imaging, interns, reception and nursing staff.
The GARS vision is to be Victoria’s leading referral centre. We have recruited staff with a view to achieving this goal. The hospital is brand new, purpose built, proudly independent and privately-owned. Located in Newtown Geelong, the hospital occupies a tranquil part of the city, immediately surrounded by beautiful greenspaces, overlooking the Barwon River, Balyang sanctuary and Balyang Golf course. The facility boasts its own private outdoor space with lawns overlooking the golf course and river for our staff and patients to enjoy. It is equipped with four consulting rooms, chemotherapy room, large central treatment area with adjacent nursing station with separate MRI, ultrasound/endoscopy, minimally invasive fluoroscopy and CT suites. Three large operating theatres surround a large central sterile processing zone with separate staff offices, lecture theatre, board room, kitchen and lounge area plus independent cat and dog wards. The waiting room is also a beautiful space with high ceilings and separate waiting areas for dogs and cats.
The hospital equipment is state of the art and includes; onsite MRI, CT, Fluoroscopy, flexible and rigid endoscopy, Ultrasound, DR radiography, multiparameter patient monitoring, ventilators, blood gas, coagulation, haematology and biochemistry machines, full Thoracoscopic/Laparoscopic/Arthroscopic instrumentation, Total Hip and Elbow replacement systems, multiple locking plate systems and neurosurgical equipment to name a few.
Our staff are considered experts in their field and industry leaders. We are completely focused on our team, including every current and future member. We are dedicated to ensuring an appropriate work-life balance for all staff, while strongly valuing staff development with generous CPD available to all.
If you wish to join our team that means you also are driven to achieving the highest possible standards of patient care and wish to work within a facility where staff excel at their job within a fun, inclusive and exceptional workspace.
We are looking for people who truly value teamwork and would like to join the GARS family, determined to take their career to the next level. For the successful applicants, there is also opportunity to work within our sister business, Melbourne Animal Referral Services (MARS), which is also undergoing exciting expansion.
About the area
GARS is very fortunate to have the Barwon River, Balyang Golf Course and Balyang Sanctuary with their natural green spaces, including bike and walking paths right on our front doorstep. The popular cafes, restaurants and bars of Pakington street and Geelong CBD are only minutes away. The outstanding wineries and distilleries of the Bellarine peninsula and beautiful beaches of the Surf Coast and famous Great Ocean Road Greater are less than 25minutes away. Transport links are excellent, with the South Geelong train station less than 3kms from the hospital, the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry and Avalon International Airport 15 and 25 minutes from the hospital. Major arterials are also close by, offering fast and easy connections to Melbourne, Victoria’s North, West and South.
About the GARS Internal Medicine Service
The Service is lead by Dr Scott McCann BSc BVSc MVS MANZCVS DACVIM
The GARS Internal Medicine Specialist (GARS-IMS) position is a hospital-based position, however if desired by the candidate, mobile work both within GARS and our sister business, Melbourne Animal Referral Services (MARS) could also be made available.
The GARS-IMS will be an Internal Medicine Fellow or Diplomate and currently registered as a specialist within the state of Victoria. We are also interested in residency trained candidates. For overseas applicants that aren’t registered in Victoria, GARS can apply for special registration with the Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria.
Core duties include accepting referral internal medicine cases and performing appropriate diagnostic workups and treatment. The IMS may delegate or oversee some of the work but must always strive for the best possible patient outcomes.
The individual must be a dynamic team player who is willing to collaborate with all members of staff while providing first-class service to clients, referring vets and patients.
The individual will always focus on expedient, high quality communication with owners and referring practices.
Apart from clinical duties, the GARS-IMS will assist in the provision of structured supervision and tuition to interns, residents and nurses. Contribution to continuing education for referring veterinarians is also required. This may include, but is not limited to, lectures, newsletters, symposium presentations and assistance with other CPD related events.
The GARS-IMS will be supported in developing areas of clinical interest. Currently, interventional radiology and minimally invasive procedures are areas within the practice that offer great opportunity, however all areas of development will be considered and supported.
Key Accountabilities of GARS-IMS
You will always;
- Strive to provide clinical excellence in the treatment of all patients
- Positive collaboration with other hospital departments
- Achieve and maintain amicable relationships with staff from referring practices. A key component of this is providing friendly and supportive advice in a timely fashion
- Represent the hospital and business in a positive and respectful manner
- Complete case-based paperwork diligently and in a timely fashion
- Foster a friendly and unified team environment
- Provide positive, friendly and supportive mentorship to junior staff
- Provide positive, friendly and supportive leadership to those around you
You will have the following;
- A veterinary degree registerable in Victoria or a willingness to apply for special registration with the board and sit the Australasian Veterinary Examination
- Internal medicine specialist (FANZCVS or DECVIM or DACVIM) currently registered or eligible for registration as a specialist within the state of Victoria.
- Residency trained candidates will also be considered.
- Significant experience in all areas of internal medicine with skills in oncology and diagnostic imaging particularly desirable
- Passion for delivering the highest standard of care
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to lead and motivate junior staff
- Ability to provide tuition, guidance and mentorship to junior staff
- Commitment to lifelong learning and continuing education
- Commitment to the culture and values of the business
- Enthusiasm for and support of the growth and development of the business.
- Honest, reliable and loyal character
What we can offer you
- Competitive remuneration commensurate with experience
- Opportunity to join a fun, friendly and highly efficient team
- Work in a truly beautiful facility in an enviable location.
- An employer that aims to facilitate work life balance for all staff
- Support to develop your skills and advance your career in Internal Medicine.
- A caring and supportive environment that focuses on staff wellness and positive workplace culture
- Industry leading discounts for staff pets
For further information or to apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com