Expressions of Interest: Equine Veterinarians (Racing), Equine Veterinary Surgeons, Equine Sports Medicine specialists
The Hong Kong Jockey Club has an outstanding global reputation as a professional and highly successful horse racing organisation that maintains very high levels of racing integrity.
The Veterinary Clinical Services department (DVCS) provides professional veterinary services within a larger corporate environment. The Racing Section provide veterinary services to over 1400 Thoroughbred racehorses at the Club’s Sha Tin racecourse in Hong Kong and Conghua Racecourse and training Centre (CRC) in the Greater Bay Area of Southern China. A separate Equestrian Section provide services for a further 600 retired Thoroughbreds and other horses at 9 riding establishments throughout Hong Kong and the New Territories.
We are a team of veterinarians and highly skilled technicians who have a collaborative approach to clinical services. Our vision is to be a center-of-excellence for health care for active and retired Thoroughbred racehorses thereby contributing to the success of HKJC.
We are building a high-performing team of veterinarians with complementary skill sets and a strong sense of team values, goals and codes of ethics and are seeking expressions of interest for future positions from outstanding, service oriented veterinarians who are committed to providing exceptional veterinary care for active and retired Thoroughbred racehorses. Veterinarians experienced in equine racetrack practice, veterinarians who have completed a residency program or have diplomate status in equine sports medicine and rehabilitation or equine surgery are encouraged to express their interest for future positions as racing stable veterinarians, equine surgeons with racing stable duties and for senior clinical leadership roles.
Flexible working arrangements such as several months’ sabbatical leave each year may be considered in some future roles to attract, retain and develop talents.
Successful applicants for future roles will be highly effective communicators with a positive approach to building a team and developing those around them.
Successful candidates will:
- Be committed to the delivery of positive outcomes that will contribute to the sustainability and success of the racing industry in a rapidly changing social environment.
- Be service oriented, consistently deliver high quality clinical service standards and strive to achieve continuous improvement in these areas.
- Strive to implement strategies that will contribute to the prevention of diseases and injuries and aim to achieve optimal wellness, athletic performance and durability of horses.
- Be team-players who anticipate and recognize the needs of others in the workplace, make themselves available to assist and support team members including junior veterinarians across the duel sites, their supervisors, Club officials and others.
- Be highly effective communicators and strive to maintain a collaborative clinic culture with open communication amongst veterinarians and other staff.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Degree in Veterinary Science, eligible for registration with the Veterinary Surgeon’s Board in Hong Kong.
- Experience in the practice of quality equine racetrack medicine, routine veterinary care, prevention, diagnosis and management of veterinary conditions in Thoroughbred racehorses.
- In-depth knowledge of veterinary aspects of the Thoroughbred racing industry.
- A high standard of integrity and commitment to the success of the racing industry.
- Post-graduate training or qualification in equine sports medicine and rehabilitation, equine surgery, equine medicine, diagnostic imaging or another relevant discipline is desirable but not essential.
Conditions of employment
Successful applicants will be offered a 3 year contract subject to completion of a satisfactory 6 month probation period.
An attractive remuneration package is offered commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. Accommodation and utility expenses, a travel allowance, healthcare coverage and other benefits will be provided. Key benefits will include but not limited to the following to enhance our business operational agility, as well as a core part of our People Care for employees’ well-being. Details of our benefits will be available on request.
- Flexible work arrangement subject to business operational requirements and the individual’s personal situation
- HKJC membership for the individual with access to our Club facilities for their family members
- Relocation related costs
- Competitive leave benefits
- Contribution to professional membership fees
Expressions of interest
Submit a curriculum vitae and a letter that outlines your reason for an interest in future positions at the HKJC, summarizes your qualifications and relevant experience and addresses the selection criteria to email@example.com.
For additional information refer to the brochure provided via the link below. If you have further questions, contact Dr Catherine (Cate) Steel, Principal Veterinarian, Conghua Racing Centre. firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Brian Stewart, Head Department of Veterinary Clinical Services, Sha Tin Racecourse. email@example.com
To learn more about the opportunities please click here.