Full Time Emergency Veterinarian
Seeking a passionate, motivated emergency and critical care clinician who enjoys teaching and mentoring to join our growing ECC team
JCUVet is a multi-disciplinary teaching facility on the Townsville campus of James Cook University. As the only emergency and critical care facility in Northern Queensland, we service a large region, which affords a diverse and interesting caseload. Snakes, Ticks, Toads, polytraumas and infectious diseases are just a few of the more common presentations we see.
Our ECC team pride themselves on providing quality care to our patients and professional support to our referring veterinarians. All full and part time members of our team are RECOVER rescuer certified.
Our well-equipped purpose built hospital offers a wide range of diagnostic, laboratory and monitoring equipment, including digital x-ray, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, CT, six-lead ECG, endoscopy, rhinoscopy, extensive anesthetic monitoring equipment, mechanical ventilation, a full Idexx in-house laboratory suite (Procyte dx, catalyst One, Coag Dx, blood gas analyser, Sediview Dx and Vetlab UA) and university pathology laboratory.
In addition to the emergency and critical care, JCU Vet is home to a general practice, medicine, surgery, anesthesia, and diagnostic imaging service. We also host visiting specialists in cardiology and dermatology. We are under new management, undergoing a period of growth, and looking for positive, compassionate and motivated clinicians to help us reach greater heights.
Student teaching and mentorship:
Our primary role in teaching involves clinical tuition of final year veterinary students, across all our services. A passion for teaching and mentorship is necessary as we pride ourselves in providing high quality new graduates to the veterinary industry. Teaching students provides the opportunity to grow both your clinical and non-clinical skills including communication, organization and self-confidence.
Essential Attributes –
- Hold a veterinary science degree available for registration in Queensland
- Have the ability to work efficiently and independently
- Have the ability to work as part of a cohesive team
- Have exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Hold a passion for teaching veterinary students within the clinical setting
- Be committed to the provision of optimal patient care
- Be committed to friendly informative client communication
- Have exceptional record keeping
- Be compassionate, caring and patient orientated
Desirable Attributes -
- Hold memberships in Emergency and Critical Care or equivalent qualifications (CertAVP etc)
- Have experience teaching students in a clinical or academic setting
What JCUVet can offer you:
- Access to a wide range of CE opportunities including
- Guest lectures in a variety of fields
- Annual membership to VIN
- Annual membership to the Vet Education online learning portal
- Biweekly ECC journal club
- Weekly multidisciplinary journal club
- Weekly clinician rounds
- Access to James Cook University library and other learning services
- RECOVER CPR rescuer qualifications
- Rotating roster (days, nights and evening shifts)
- Paid registration and radiation licensing
- Five weeks annual leave (pro rata)
- Two weeks paid study leave
- $1500.00 yearly CPD allowance
- Competitive remuneration package based on experience and qualifications
- Support to gain further qualifications including
- Access to membership mentors (Dr. Terri Eurell and Dr. Phillip Judge)
- Paid memberships examination fees
- Pathophysiology rounds in ECC and aligned services
We live in a beautiful, sunny part of the world next to the tropical rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef, all without the hassle and expense of inner-city living. Townsville is great for families and has plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, mountain bike riding, fishing, diving and camping. Magnetic Island provides a mixture of beaches, walks and adventure sports along with reef dives and snorkeling, and the beautiful rainforests of Paluma are less than an hours drive away. The city is small and easy to get around yet has plenty of restaurants and an active nightlife alongside museums, botanic gardens, and a new world-class stadium.
If you would like to learn more about the advertised position or submit an application (CV and cover letter) please contact our clinical coordinator Elizabeth Bertram.
Elizabeth Bertram RVN
(07) 4781 3600