Dermatology for Animals – Internship programme 2023-24
Established in 1998, Dermatology for Animals provides the veterinary dermatology service within the majority of specialist multi-disciplinary veterinary hospitals in Queensland, as well as providing dermatology referral services to regional centres in Queensland, Northern Territory and New South Wales. We are now inviting applications for our 2023 intake, with one position available to start in February and another in August. Interns are appointed for an eighteen-month period and are based in south-east Queensland.
Our interns work alongside our specialists, registrars and residents with the aim of providing incumbents with an in-depth understanding of veterinary dermatological skin disease and treatment. Primary case responsibility is not a feature of these positions. The knowledge gained during an internship will be applicable to those seeking to pursue further studies in veterinary dermatology (eg – pursuing residency training with a view to specialisation), and also to those wishing to gain a solid grounding in a discipline that forms approximately 30% of all non-preventative general practice accessions.
Veterinary dermatology is unique amongst referral disciplines in fostering long-term relationships with clients and patients. It’s less about fixing our patients and sending them on their way, and more about managing their issues so that they and their owners can live their best lives. It’s also unique in that dermatology rarely presents with genuine emergencies, and this allows us all to have an enviable work-life balance.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to work with internationally renowned leaders in veterinary dermatology.
- Training in dermatology specific diagnostic techniques including intradermal allergy testing.
- Training in the use of cutting-edge technology including:
- CO2 and diode lasers.
- MRI and CT.
- The ability to hone your communication skills through client communication in person, on the telephone and via email.
- No out of hours work. We do work on Saturdays but provide a weekday off in lieu.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THE ROLE
- An enthusiasm for learning, and an understanding that there’s still a lot we don’t know.
- The flexibility to move from one aspect of the role to another, and then back again.
- Excellent communication skills to enhance our reputation with clients and referring vets alike.
- A clean driving licence as travel to various centres in south-east Queensland is required.
If you think you might be interested in veterinary dermatology as a career, or just wish to hone your skills in this important discipline, then an internship with Dermatology for Animals may be what you’re looking for. If you would like to explore the opportunities further, please email your application, including a letter of intent and your current CV to:
Melissa Bicanic, Talent Business Partner at email@example.com